The Charleston Rotary Board is is following the CDC’s recommendation is to wear a mask for all indoor activities where cases are high. The Board recommends wearing a mask when not actively eating or drinking.
VIRTUAL ATTENDANCE IS STILL AN OPTION. Look for the invitation via email.
Invoices for the January 1. 2022 – June 30, 2022 period have been emailed. You may pay on our website at www.charlestonrotary.com. After logging in you will have an option to Renew, Update or Upgrade your membership. If you prefer you may bring a check to a meeting or send it to P.O. Box 111 Charleston, WV 25321. If you prefer to have a hard copy mailed to you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
February 28, 2022
Introduced by David Haden
Come join us in-person or online to hear from Coach Huff regarding Marshall Football. Huff joined the Herd last year after finishing his second year with the Alabama Crimson Tide.
A native of Denton, Maryland, Huff spent four seasons (2014-17) as Penn State’s running backs coach and special teams coordinator. He recruited and developed one of the game’s most electrifying players in running back Saquon Barkley, who in 2018 became the highest-drafted NFL running back since Reggie Bush went No. 2 overall in 2006. Numerous records fell at the running back position and on special teams under Huff’s guidance at Penn State. Barkley, a 2017 consensus All-American, became the first Big Ten running back in history to win Offensive Player of the Year honors twice.
The 2016 campaign saw the Nittany Lions claim the Big Ten Championship and it was Huff who mentored two record-breakers. Barkley broke the Penn State sophomore record for rushing yards, all-purpose yards and points scored, while junior kicker Tyler Davis collected All-Big Ten first-team honors after tying the league’s single-season record for kicking points, and breaking the school record for field goals by a junior and consecutive field goals made.
March 7, 2022
Dr. Jim Jackson
Introduced by Justin Southern
Come join us in-person or online to hear from Dr. James M. Jackson, an internationally known astrophysicist and Director of the Greenbank Observatory for an update on work being conducted under his direction.
Jackson has served most recently as Associate Director for Research for the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA) with the Universities Space Research Association (USRA). Jackson has also led administration and research in astronomy and astrophysics for the University of Newcastle (Australia) and Boston University, and served as Assistant Director for the Center for Astrophysical Research in Antarctica. He has co-authored 148 journal articles, with over 12,000 total citations.
Disclaimer: This meeting may be recorded and may be published on various social platforms, including YouTube, Facebook, and websites. You can protect your identity by not providing access to your camera, revising your registration name, or limiting your participation.
Mark Your Calendar
Cost: $45 per person (combo ticket includes pre-concert reception with complimentary beer, wine, champagne, and heavy hors d’oeuvres as well as concert ticket)
Time/Date: Pre-concert reception, 6:30pm, Concert 7:30pm; Saturday February 26, 2022
Location: Clay Center for the Arts & Sciences of WV
- Rotary will have a block of 60 tickets held for the concert
- Deadline for guaranteed tickets is Friday, February 18, 2022 (1 week before the concert)
- All Rotary Club of Charleston purchased tickets will be held at will-call for pickup at the Clay Center under the Rotarian’s name beginning Tuesday, February 22, 2022. The box office hours are Tuesday–Friday, 10:00am–5:00pm. Tickets on Saturday, February 26, 2022 can be picked up beginning at 10:00am through the beginning of the concert at 7:30pm. Club members are encouraged to pick up their tickets ahead of the concert to reduce wait time the night of the event.
- Information on ticket purchase coming soon.
The Program Committee invites any and all members to join us every Monday at 1:00 in our meeting room. We only meet for 20-30 minutes and we plan our weekly speakers. We need new energy and encourage all members to join us!
Vaccines are encouraged! The Board of Directors is in full support of the Governor’s, as well as the Health Department’s, efforts to vaccinate the citizens of our great State and County. We encourage all members to support this effort and get vaccinated. If you are still in need of a vaccine, please go to www.vaccinefinder.org and locate a vaccine site near you. You can even make an appointment there. If you do not use the internet, you can also call the WV COVID Vaccine Hotline at 1-833-734-0965 and they will help you schedule an appointment.
LOCAL ROTARY CLUB MAKE-UP LOCATIONS
The Program Committee will resume weekly meetings at the Charleston Coliseum and Convention Center when in-person meetings commence, directly after the regularly scheduled meeting. Parking is free just let the parking attendant know you are with the Rotary Club of Charleston.
Putnam Rotary Club Meeting begins at 12:00 noon at Area 34
7013, 971 WV-34 in Hurricane.
Vandalia Club meets at Edgewood Country Club Wednesdays from 7:30 am – 8:30 am. The last Wednesday of the month is a social or service project.
St. Albans Rotary Club meets every Thursday at 12:00 noon in their new meeting location at City National Bank 560 4th Street, Saint Albans, WV 25177.
South Charleston Rotary Club meets on the 3rd Thursday of every month at 12:00 noon. Meetings are located at Little Creek Country Club, South Charleston, WV.
Other Ways to Make-up a Meeting:
1. The board unanimously approved another avenue to get additional credit for attendance. In addition to attending a committee meeting, doing an online make-up, or visiting another Rotary Club you can now get one meeting credit for every new member prospect/guest you bring to a regular Monday meeting. The credit will apply during the same quarter in which you bring the potential member/guest. This is a great way to both make up attendance and recruit new members into our club. Contact Paul White with questions.
2. To attend a make-up meeting online, click the link below: Rotary Club Online make-up location: http://www.rotaryeclubone.org/ The online system is set up to provide written confirmation of the make-up to the person who actually did it. The member is then responsible for providing confirmation to their Rotary Club Administrator. Please forward a copy of your confirmation letter to email@example.com to receive proper credit.