Message from President Welty, process for inviting guests to our virtual meetings.
To : Rotary Club of Charleston members:
Subject: Process for inviting guests to our virtual meetings
Thanks for the positive feedback and comments on our meetings! If you are attending, please continue and if not we encourage you to log on and enjoy!
I also want to ask that you continue to invite guests to benefit from the great speakers the Program Committee is lining up for us. Here is the simple process to follow when inviting guests:
- Forward the log on information to your guest and ask them to register.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cc to email@example.com letting us know who your guest is.
- The email is essential because we want to a) warmly greet guests and b) we must record guests for Rotary and for our virtual system.
We appreciate your participation and look forward to welcoming your guests and, when appropriate, inviting them to become members!
Speaker Information for September
9/14/2020 – Tracy Abdulla + panelists, “Restaurant Operations in Charleston during COVID-19,” introduced by Justin Southern
Owner & General Manager
SOHO’s at Capitol Market
Tracy is a life-long resident of Charleston, WV. He is a graduate of Charleston High School and West Virginia State University. Growing up in the restaurant industry, Tracy followed in the footsteps of his father and other relatives. He started as a busboy working in his father’s restaurant, Brothers, in downtown Charleston. Throughout his high school years, Tracy worked for his cousin Nick Husson, of Husson’s Pizza. During his college years, Tracy once again worked for his family as manager of Murad’s at 35th Street. After graduating college,Tracy established and managed several successful restaurants in the Charleston area. These restaurants include The Athletic Club inside Embassy Suites,Buffalo Wild Wings, and Adelphia Sports Bar and Grille. In February 2020, Tracy and his business partners took ownership of one of the most iconic restaurants in Charleston, Soho’s at the Capitol Market.Together, the group kept the restaurant from shutting its doors, keeping its traditions alive while putting their own unique stamp on it.
Starlings Coffee & Provisions
15 years as a restaurant owner; 30 years service industry experience
Mother of 2: Son 18, daughter 10
Community involvement/board positions:
2nd term on Charleston City Council; 15 years on Charleston Main Streets; Secretary: Charleston Urban Renewal Authority; Member at Large: WV Rainbow Pride; Recent graduate from the WV Recovery Coach Academy
Graduated with an MFA in fine arts from the University of Kentucky. As a practicing vegetarian of 30 years, I found a second love in food, and the art of cooking. I’m passionate about supporting our local farmers, and producers. I’m heavily vested in my neighborhood, and community, where my husband, Jon, and I chose to open all 3 of our restaurants.
Owner/ Chef at The Olive Tree Café and Catering
For the last 5 years, Michael Jarrouj has been the Owner/ Chef at The Olive Tree Café and Catering. Mike is a member of South Charleston Rotary, and is very active in community and charity work and can be seen doing Olive Tree’s cooking segment live every Friday on WSAZ’s Studio 3.
Manages Gonzo Burger and Mi Cocina di Amor
9/21/2020 – Jim Samuel, Ph.D., “Artificial Intelligence and Big Data: Changing Business, ” introduced Martin Roth
9/28/2020 – Justice Evan Jenkins, “West Virginia’s Highest Court: Restoring Trust and Accountability,” introduced by Dill Battle
The Charleston Rotary Program Committee would to hear from you! Please click on the link below and tell us how we are doing!
Chris Carew – September 10th
Reid Brecken– September 11th
Willie Lively, Jr. – September 11th
30 Years – Rick Rubin – Join Date: September 14, 1990
15 Years – Tim Frye – Join Date: September 16, 2005
New Proposed Member:
Nicole “Nicole” Pride
Company/Organization: West Virginia State University
Business Address: P.O. Box 399
Institute, WV 25112
Business Phone: 304-766-3111
Business Fax: 304-720-2075
Business email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Address: 1 Presidential Way
Institute, WV 25064
Proposed by: Pat Schumann
Al Deardorff with regrets
Gabi Wright with regrets
Greeter/Prayer for September
Please contact Mike Fidler at 304-546-8156 or email@example.com
No Greeters at this time.
LOCAL ROTARY CLUB MAKE-UP LOCATIONS
The Program Committee, they meet weekly at the Charleston Coliseum and Convention Center, directly after the regular scheduled meeting. Parking is free just let the parking attendant know you are with the Rotary Club of Charleston.
Putnam Rotary Club Meeting begins at 12:00 noon at the First State Bank Community Room
3754 Teays Valley Road
Hurricane, WV 25526
Vandalia Club meets at Edgewood Country Club. Wednesdays from 7:30-8:30 – last Wednesday of month is a social or service project.
Meeting begins 12:00 noon St. Albans Rotary Club at their new meeting location is City National Bank 560 4th Street Saint Albans, WV 25177
Other Ways to Make-up a Meeting:
1. The board unanimously approved another avenue to get additional credit for attendance. In addition to attending a committee meeting, doing an online make-up, or visiting another Rotary Club you can now get one meeting credit for every new member prospect/guest you bring to a regular Monday meeting. The credit will apply during the same quarter in which you bring the potential member/guest. This is a great way to both make up attendance and recruit new members into our club. Contact Paul White with questions.
2. To do a make-up meeting on-line, click the link below: Rotary Club Online make-up location: http://www.rotaryeclubone.org/The on-line system is set up to provide a written confirmation of the make-up to the person who actually did the make-up. The Member is then responsible for providing the confirmation to their Rotary Club Administrator. Please forward a copy of your confirmation letter to me firstname.lastname@example.org to receive proper credit, also check the weekly newsletter to see if I have listed your make up and name, if not this indicates that I did not receive your make-up notice.
Attendance Monday, September, 2020
Virtual Meeting Attendance:
No Meeting Held
MEMBERS ATTENDING OTHER CLUB:
Online Make-up: None