Message from President Welty, process for inviting guests to our virtual meetings.
To : Rotary Club of Charleston members:
Subject: Process for inviting guests to our virtual meetings
Thanks for the positive feedback and comments on our meetings! If you are attending, please continue and if not we encourage you to log on and enjoy!
I also want to ask that you continue to invite guests to benefit from the great speakers the Program Committee is lining up for us. Here is the simple process to follow when inviting guests:
- Forward the log on information to your guest and ask them to register.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cc to email@example.com letting us know who your guest is.
- The email is essential because we want to a) warmly greet guests and b) we must record guests for Rotary and for our virtual system.
We appreciate your participation and look forward to welcoming your guests and, when appropriate, inviting them to become members!
Speaker Information for October – November
10/26/20 – Jerome Gilbert, Ph.D., “Bill Noe Flight School in Charleston,” introduced by Dave Haden
Dr. Jerome A. “Jerry” Gilbert
A Mississippi native with a background in biomedical engineering, President Gilbert previously served for nearly six years as provost and executive vice president of Mississippi State University. Before that, he was the university’s associate provost and associate vice president for academic affairs for six years. Earlier roles include head of the Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering and coordinator for the biomedical engineering graduate program in the Bagley College of Engineering.
President Gilbert attained the rank of professor in 1993 after joining the Mississippi State faculty in 1988 as associate professor.From 1989-2005, he also served as adjunct clinical assistant professor of orthopaedic surgery (research) for the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He served for 10 years as a research affiliate with the Institute of Neurocognitive Science and Technology at Mississippi State, and was among the first class of Mississippi State’s honors faculty in the Shackouls Honors College.
President Gilbert was a graduate assistant at Duke University and held previous academic appointments at North Carolina State University and University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill) School of Medicine.
In 2014, he was elected to the inaugural board of directors of the Association of Chief Academic Officers. A member of the College of Fellows of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, he also was inducted in the inaugural class of Fellows of the Institute of Biological Engineering, an organization for which he served as president in 2005. In 2017, he was named a Distinguished Fellow in the Bagley College of Engineering at Mississippi State.
Since coming to Marshall, he has been recognized by the West Virginia Martin Luther King Jr. State Holiday Commission with its 2019 “Living the Dream Award” in the area of scholarship. He also was honored by The State Journal as a member of its 2019 Class of Who’s Who in West Virginia Business.
He serves as the vice-chairman of the Conference USA executive committee.
President Gilbert has a bachelor’s degree in biological engineering from Mississippi State and a doctorate in biomedical engineering from Duke.
He and his wife Leigh are the parents of three grown children, Caroline, Sallie and Peter. They have two grandchildren, Eliza and Roger.
11/2/2020- Rebecca McPhail, “Manufacturing in WV,” introduced by Mary Cook
11/9/2020- Dr. Clay Marsh, “Covid – 19 Update,” introduced by Ted Armbrecht
11/16/2020- Jeff Pierson, “The Art Scene and Realted Developments in Charleston,” introduced by TBA
11/23/2020– No Meeting – Thanksgiving Holiday
11/30/2020- Harvey Peyton, “Art Selection for Appreciation, Investment and Donation,” introduced by TBA
The Charleston Rotary Program Committee would to hear from you! Please click on the link below and tell us how we are doing!
Ruffner Alexander – October 22nd
Courtlandt Smith – October 23rd
Margo Teeter – October 23rd
Craig Griffith – October 24th
Mark Grigoraci – October 26th
Chris Welty – October 27th
Jim Shuman – Join Date: October 24, 1980
New Proposed Member:
Greeter/Prayer for October – November
Please contact Mike Fidler at 304-546-8156 or firstname.lastname@example.org
No Greeters at this time.
LOCAL ROTARY CLUB MAKE-UP LOCATIONS
The Program Committee, they meet weekly at the Charleston Coliseum and Convention Center, directly after the regular scheduled meeting. Parking is free just let the parking attendant know you are with the Rotary Club of Charleston.
Putnam Rotary Club Meeting begins at 12:00 noon at the First State Bank Community Room
3754 Teays Valley Road
Hurricane, WV 25526
Vandalia Club meets at Edgewood Country Club. Wednesdays from 7:30-8:30 – last Wednesday of month is a social or service project.
Meeting begins 12:00 noon St. Albans Rotary Club at their new meeting location is City National Bank 560 4th Street Saint Albans, WV 25177
Other Ways to Make-up a Meeting:
1. The board unanimously approved another avenue to get additional credit for attendance. In addition to attending a committee meeting, doing an online make-up, or visiting another Rotary Club you can now get one meeting credit for every new member prospect/guest you bring to a regular Monday meeting. The credit will apply during the same quarter in which you bring the potential member/guest. This is a great way to both make up attendance and recruit new members into our club. Contact Paul White with questions.
2. To do a make-up meeting on-line, click the link below: Rotary Club Online make-up location: http://www.rotaryeclubone.org/The on-line system is set up to provide a written confirmation of the make-up to the person who actually did the make-up. The Member is then responsible for providing the confirmation to their Rotary Club Administrator. Please forward a copy of your confirmation letter to me email@example.com to receive proper credit, also check the weekly newsletter to see if I have listed your make up and name, if not this indicates that I did not receive your make-up notice.
Attendance Monday, October 19, 2020
Virtual Meeting Attendance:
Number of Members attended: Active: 45 Exempt: 7
Number of Guests: 1
Visiting Rotarians: Sean Sawyer, Dist Gov.
Total Members Attended: 54
MEMBERS ATTENDING OTHER CLUB:
Online Make-up: None